I don't know about you guys, but I am one of those annoying people that rips down tree and all the Christmas decorations on December 26th. I just can't wait to clear out the clutter and start fresh. My husband and kids usually bet on how quickly after the presents are opened, until I start the clean out process.
After the decluttering I would say another highly therapeutic activity is finding a use for something you already have. In one of the piles I came across while cleaning out there was a stack of colorful felt that I have hoarded for years... hmmm, what could I do with this??
I have been recovering from shoulder surgery for the past four weeks and the limited use of one arm has really had me feeling discouraged and down. I am generally someone that doesn't still for long, constantly doing, creating, and on the go. I was really missing using my hands, and being creative. So when I stumbled on this old pile of felt, I knew I wanted to make something cheerful with it.
With Valentine's Day coming up, I decided a colorful heart wreath was the answer. Such a sweet little mood lifter!
Okay friends, here is what you will need to make your own Felt Heart Wreath:
- Approximately 12 pieces of felt
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Wreath frame
- A piece of ribbon or string to hang the finished wreath|
Here are the simple steps:
1. Pick out the color pieces you want to use.
2. Cut them into different sized square pieces. Then cut each into a circle.
3. Beginning from the outer edge, cut into the circles one at a time, in a spiral pattern.
4. Next, separately roll each spiral into a floral shape, and use hot glue on the bottom to secure it in place.
5. Once you have created enough felt hearts (I needed about 60) arrange them on your wire wreath. Use hot glue to attach them, one at a time.
6. Loop a short piece of ribbon through the top of the wire wreath, and hang on your door. Voila!
I probably used too much glue, but hey, I didn't want to deal with inevitably having to fix any that eventually would have fallen off ;)
Aww, what a charmer!
I wasn't sure how these colors would look with my current door color, bright blue, but honestly, I kind of love it! It certainly stands out and makes me smile as I pull in and out my driveway, several times a day.
My mood is lifted, I got to be creative and I was able to give some old clutter a new purpose. Mission accomplished!
Happy Valentine's Day, friends.